Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

To post or not to post ... Why do you write?

In the beginning of the year I promised myself and my blog that I wouldn't let it fade away. Now, however, I am dangerously close to doing just that. Since spring arrived here in Norway, I haven't really been up to hanging at the screen reading and writing. One of the reasons is that me and my family have a new project - we are moving again. This time just a few hundred meter, but still planing and packing takes a lot of time (a new "My home" post coming up).

But now I am going to make a pledge to myself, my blog and my occasional readers (I hope you will hang in there) that I will post at least once a week.

Today I read the post "Mucking about" at the EFL Classroom 2.0
"One final comment. The internet is changing very fast. It is now very hard to start a community, to get traction with a website. For many reasons I won’t get into but things have changed. If you want to muck about online, do so for the mere joy of doing it, seeing it be built and be “alive”. Don’t do it expecting to be a success in the larger sense of the word – you’ll be in for a lot of heavy heartbreak."
David Deubelbeiss, EFL Classroom 2.0
This section is what got me thinking today. I realised that I have been thinking that every post I write has to be perfect and the result has been that I haven't been posting at all. I don't have to reach out to a big audience, I would just like to have a supportive network of teaching and learning colleagues.

So what are the reasons for me to write? It has always been a good way for me to reflect on what I am reading, hearing and experiencing. It is nice to know that somebody else is reading and sometimes comments on what I write. But the writing is mainly supposed to be for myself. To get the things I learn and think about into perspective.

So now I'll get on with my reading, and I hope to see you back here soon again. 

Why do you write?

1 comment:

  1. Well, you and me both...at least, as far as my teaching/learning blog is concerned. I just realised my last post was over a month ago. Oh dear!

    Incidentally, if you haven't yet, i encourage you to read that last post on "Follow your bliss" as it might just fire you up some more to keep blogging as a way to create, challenge and connect.

    best regards,
    Malyn

    ReplyDelete