Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Using Twitter and Building My PLN

The third subject of the PLN Challenge is how to use Twitter to build a PLN.

I only started using Twitter about six months ago and I still feel like I am drowning in the stream sometimes. But as some has some suggested I installed Tweetdeck and I have only used it for a couple of days, but it feels a bit better.

I have gotten some tips on the way since my last post and I think I will share them with you:
  • "With Twitter, I just read about what's happening at the time, and not worry about what I missed. I figure, if it's important enough, someone will retweet it." Tracy Watanabe
  • "There is no way I can keep up with everyone. So, I have downloaded tweetdeck onto my computer and added columns for the topics that I am really interested in eg #edchat #globaleducation #accounting #ksyb" Murcha
  • "I also follow Kathleen Morris' advice, and I only follow about 150ish people. So, I periodically go back and delete those who I don't recognize or haven't made connections with." Tracy Watanabe
 I also came across a swedish blog post about Twitter and the question of followers and if I have to follow them in return. Micke Kazarnowicz has some guide rules, when he chooses who to follow or not:
  • @-mentions - dialouge is important to him
  • RT of interesting stuff
  • Tweets about interesting subjects
  • profile picture
  • profile (with link) 
makes it more probable that he will follow someone. Things that make him not wanting to follow are:
  • twitteraccount from company/organisation that he doesn´t have a relationship to
  • everyday tweets (about the company coffee machine for example)
  • no profile picture
  • hateful comments
These things make it a little bit easier for me to handle the twitter stream and I hope that these guidelines will keep my head over water in the future:
  • only follow what I really am interested in
  • not following to many
  • when I am short on time make sure I check in once a week
  • RT interesting stuff
  • get the hang of tweetdeck
  • get to know which hashtags I like and follow them
  • make sure I try to give back when I have the opportunity

4 comments:

  1. Anna,

    Great advice. I also use Hootsuite because I'm on more than one computer and I can access it anywhere through the internet. I have both Hootsuite and Tweetdeck and they seem to work equally well.
    Who do you seem to follow on Twitter more often?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna, I'd probably also consider setting up lists using TweetDeck. For example, you could set up lists for your favorite hashtags, list of people who focus mostly on sharing the types of links and information you want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sue for commenting. I have figured out how to set up lists - now I only have to find some nice hashtags that people use here in Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete