Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The journey of teaching

Today I was inspired by Malyn and her blog post Can you describe your journey? I just felt that I had to write a post in response.

Malyn included the 2011 TED Talk from Sarah Kay - If I should have a daughter.

Malyn writes that she many times has said that "learning is a journey and blogging about it helps". I would like to say that teaching also is a journey and that it certainley helps me blogging about it. Why do I state this? Isn't it obvious? Well, maybe it is, but many times it seems as if a teacher is supposed to be fully equipped the minute she or he gets her or his diploma in the hand. End stop. I have this paper here that says I can teach - now I don't have to join my students on the journey.

I think it is really important for us to join our students on the learning journey. I think that is the only way that we can teach them anything. If we are at the same place as them we can easily see what they need to know to get on with their travelling. But it is hard and you can't do it effortlessly, and it means you have to go on your own learning journey and share it with your students. Sarah Kay says in her Poem B that "The first time she realises that wonderwoman isn't coming I'll make sure she knows she doesn't have to wear the cape all by herself". And this is one of the faces of a teacher. The teacher should be there to make sure that the students know that we can solve problems and climb over any obstacles together.

Sarah Kay says something else in her poem that makes me think about why I started my journey to teach:
"When you open your hands to catch and wind up with only blisters and bruises,
when you step out of a phonebooth and the very people you want to save are the ones standing on your cape,
when your boots fill with rain and you're up to your knees in disappointment
and those are the days you have all the more reasons to say thank you ..."
 I really connect with this, because these are the days that me and my students really made an effort, and I know that it will pay off eventually! I only hope that my students can see that as well. 

2 comments:

  1. Teaching indeed is a journey with its ups and downs. Many of Sarah's points definitely hold true for teaching because, as parents, we are teachers, too. You could pretty much replace "daughter" with "student"....If I should have a student....

    Life itself is a journey. Can we describe it with Sarah's 3 steps which comprise the principles of self-belief, will and growth?

    cheers,
    Malyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thoughtful and compassionate post Anna. Yes, teaching is certainly a journey of learning and sharing. "If I should have a daughter..." sounds like an inspiring poem and video....off to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete